Ahhhh. I love May. For several reasons, which I will list for easier reading:
1. Everything is pretty and in bloom
2. People are generally in a great mood
3. crawfish
4. School gets out (great for teachers like Laura, students, and people like me who work at a university)
5. Cinco de Mayo
6. Mother's day
5. Cinco de Mayo
6. Mother's day
7. My mama's b-day
8. My birthday
What a fun month. My birthday is saturday, and if you have been reading along or know me at all, you know that I ADORE such events. Growing up, we celebrated for a week. Not with presents neccesarily, but with family and friends. SO FUN. My family made it seem so that when it is YOUR birthday, it is YOUR DAY. And it was fun.
Well, last year, Trey "missed the boat", as I keep reminding him, on my birthday. He just simply did not understand the significance of a huge celebration. Last year on my birthday, I had just moved to Hattiesburg a week before, not really knowing anyone. It was a month before my wedding, so I blame the tears on stress.
It was the first time in MY LIFE that I was not around my friends and/or family on my birthday. Living with people like Amanda for two years in college, who owns a "birthday box" full of streamers and hats and fun stuff, I had grown accustomed to having it celebrated even when I was not living at home. So, last year I cried. Yep. Cried. My parents and sisters could not come to hattiesburg, my friends were all over the place, and I was living alone in a strange apartment with bare walls. Sob story? Perhaps.
It was the first time in MY LIFE that I was not around my friends and/or family on my birthday. Living with people like Amanda for two years in college, who owns a "birthday box" full of streamers and hats and fun stuff, I had grown accustomed to having it celebrated even when I was not living at home. So, last year I cried. Yep. Cried. My parents and sisters could not come to hattiesburg, my friends were all over the place, and I was living alone in a strange apartment with bare walls. Sob story? Perhaps.
Well, Trey handed me my birthday card...A NURSES APPRECIATION CARD. I am not a nurse. He thought it was funny. And perhaps, under different circumstances, it would have been. But in my stressed out, tear-filled eyes, it was not.
Poor guy. gotta love him.
So this year, bless his heart, he made sure he did not make the same mistake. On Sat. (a solid week before my birthday), he woke up saying "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HEATHER!!!". And so the celebration began. He has planned something fun for us to do every day this week. How sweet is that????
On Monday we went to my favorite restaurant. (mexican...surprised?)
On Tuesday when we got home from work he told me to go brush my teeth, we were going somewhere. We went to Mohogany for Happy Hour where we sat in the courtyard, drank martinis and ate crawfish nachos.
and yesterday he threw me a crawfish party!!! Ok, well it wasn't actually "for me", but it was still fun! He is the advisor for a student organization that threw a campus wide crawfish fest. It was great, so fun. There was a band and 3,000 lbs. of mudbugs. PERFECT.
On Tuesday when we got home from work he told me to go brush my teeth, we were going somewhere. We went to Mohogany for Happy Hour where we sat in the courtyard, drank martinis and ate crawfish nachos.
and yesterday he threw me a crawfish party!!! Ok, well it wasn't actually "for me", but it was still fun! He is the advisor for a student organization that threw a campus wide crawfish fest. It was great, so fun. There was a band and 3,000 lbs. of mudbugs. PERFECT.

And then starting tonight my family starts coming in! WHO-HOO!! My whole family will be here this weekend. I can not wait.
How blessed am I?
On top of my family and hubby being amazing, my friends are the BEST! I have already gotten birthday cards and phone calls and Tricia even made a birthday blog for me! How sweet/funny/scary/thoughtful is that?
All this to say, I am so very thankful for my friends and family. It is not even my "real" birthday yet and already it has been the best.
I LOVE MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY! THEY ARE THE BEST!
All this to say, I am so very thankful for my friends and family. It is not even my "real" birthday yet and already it has been the best.
I LOVE MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY! THEY ARE THE BEST!
4 comments:
yay for birthdays! so glad you were born...
see my blog asap for a little bday surprise.
I think it is funny that you listed your favorite things about May and put your birthday as last on the list...because we both know that it is FIRST on your list! :) Happy Early Birthday!
Haha...I was fixin to write the same thing as Ashley! I am so glad Trey figured out OUR way of celebrating birthdays...I really had to warn Luke this year about the First Grown-up Birthday Phenomenon.
I am so glad it is your celebration week, and I Love YOU!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!
We love you,
Post a Comment