April 2, 2007

Oh the places you go!

My previous post was about the shower that I helped host on Sunday afternoon. Well, I can not throw the blogging towel in today without mentioning the rest of the weekend, as I am sure all of you are dying to hear about.

So I start:

Friday began with heading to Clinton after work to keep Henry. Have I mentioned to you all that he is THE cutest, most huggable, loveable, little bundle of chunk EVER?

Well, he is. I kept him BY MYSELF (this is permission to be selfish. when others are there, fights break out amoungst the Tomlinsons as to who gets to hold him next) on Sat. morning, until my mama (Mama Lita) and Nana (great-nana) showed up at 10:00 am. So much for alone time with Henry.

Anyway, he is just precious.


I decided to leave Clinton and head on to Starkville to spend some QT with the sis, Laura, and to cook for the shower on Sunday. It was a pretty day, so I decided to go down the Natchez Trace. I have never driven from Clinton to Starkville on the Trace, but come on, how hard could it be? So I fixed a cup of coffee and headed out.

It was beautiful, really, and Sophie and I enjoyed the absence of the 18 wheelers and Jackson drivers found on I-20. So all-together, the trace was looking pretty good. Plus, according to Laura, taking the trace cut out at least 10 minutes. Perfect!

It wasn't until I reached The Golden Moon Casino in Philadelphia that I realized I was lost. Not lost in the sense of not knowing where I was, but lost in the sense of knowing I was not where I was supposed to be. I was in Philadeliphia and I should have been in Starkville. Huh. Not real sure how that happened, but regardless of how it happened, it did, so my 2 hour trip turned into a 3.5 hour trip. Just me and Sophie. During the trip I thought a lot, listened to music, and sang out loud to all songs. I sang lead, back-up, and the occasional instrumental sounds. I sounded good.

I have compiled a list of a few things worth mentioning from my detour route to Starkville:


1) in a small town outside of Carthage there was a little old man on the side of the road selling his motor chair. No really. I thought it would be awkward for to me take his picture, but this happened.


2) "No-diggity" from 1997 came on and I was pleasantly surprised by how well I remembered the words, especially the ever-so-popular line "play on, playa."


3) Never underestimate the power of Celine's "I'm your lady, and you are my man".

4) Outside of Philadelphia, there was a group of young native americans playing in their yard. None wearing clothes. Only underwear, exluding the one nude 2 year old girl.

5) I really do have an amazing sense of direction (I have been told that I have an internal Tom-Tom) seeing how, even through trials such as a wrong turn, I was quickly able to navigate through downtown Carthage.



4 comments:

LT (and Max) said...

i can't believe you just admitted to the world that you got LOST coming from clinton to starkville...total of about 4 turns..(seriously heather, come on).

Forrest and Elizabeth Williams said...

Don't worry Heather...I have gotten lost from Jackson to Starkville/ West Point before when I drove over on our move from TX. It was raining cats and dogs and I was NOT familiar with the route at all. We too ended up near Philadelphia. You're not the only one directionally challenged! I'm right there with you :)

Tricia said...

I've heard scientific research concluding that sometime's the magnetism in the air can throw off one's internal Tom Tom. Fact.

I too can also remember hit songs of the early 90's such as "Gangster's Paradise," Coolio's "1, 2, 3, 4.... Get your woman on the floor" and Seal's "Kiss from a Rose." I can also still belt out most of the words from any given song on the Jock Jams cd.

Anonymous said...

Tom-Tom, i'm very proud of you. I recall a similar instance when Tricia and I were returning from Lindsey's Debutant....
Laurette: laughing at an Alabama state trooper -"haha, you can't get me, you're out of your jurisdiction."
Laurette: "wait, did that sign just say Tuscaloosa?"
Tricia: "LAAUURREETTEE!!!!!!!!! i thought you knew where you were going!"
Laurette: internal voice "man, Tricia is mean!"
true story!