April 16, 2007

Sip and Be Seen

I have a few things to discuss in this post.

1) What did you do Saturday morning? Hope it was fun. What did I do? Glad you asked:

I GAVE HIGHSCHOOLERS THE ACT TEST.
Yes, Sat. morning Trey and I were at the university at 7 a.m. to give the test. You may be thinking "good! she is marking off volunteering from her list!" NO. I did this for the money.

Yes, I was paid to sit in a classroom on Sat. morning.

I was immediately labeled a nerd by these highschoolers, but i don't care. I am getting a purse with my money.

A tornado hit in the middle of test 3 (Science Reasoning) so we had to go to the hall for an hour. Really. Not only was I up early and hanging out with 16-18 year olds, I was stuck in a smelly hall with them as well.

I don't care...my purse will be great.

2) I really need someone to back me up on this: Sip & See parties are normal, right? Trey could not grasp the concept of throwing a party for women to come "sip" punch, and "see" a baby, but I was quick to justify his confusion with the fact that he is a) a boy and b) didn't grow up with any sisters. Alot of things I do are new to him.

But then I get to work eager to share Henry's Sip and See photos with my co-workers. And they laughed. They had never heard of such. "A party for people to look at a new baby?" they asked with disbelief. YES! Dessert was involved as well. Come on, people. This is normal.

People in Starkville always throw these things. The majority of the time they are thrown by the grandmommie, in this case my mom. Yes, she sent out precious invitations to her friends in Starkville...co-workers, church friends, neighbors, etc....


In the words of Trey: "I can not imagine anything more borring than a bunch of women drinking punch and starring at a baby."

Whatever

I, sadly, could not go. But my mom and one of her friends, Ms. Debbie, sent me pictures this morning. So cute. Henry was so good, or course, and laughed and "talked" to everyone.

I miss him.

So please, someone, reassure me that everyone does this, not just people in starkville. and that it is just a fluke that people in the burg and my hubby and my cousin, Adelia (yes, I contacted her to see if this happens in Collinsville and meridian. she laughed) do not know of such a shin-dig.


Thanks.

Enjoy the pictures!

14 comments:

The Benjamins said...

He is so cute. I just want to know if Nana let anyone else touch him! Have a good week!

Amy said...

I'm not seeing anyone coming to your defense on the "sip" and "see"....

Tricia said...

Did you keep a calm head during the tornado? In such situations, you are the Quarterback of the classroom: If you keep your head, they will too.

Adelia said...

I've given the ACT several times but have never had a tornado during it. You are special. And I agree with Amy. Don't see anyone jumping on the Sip and See bandwagon.

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry, heather...i grew up in birmingham and have never heard of a sip and see...is this just a mississippi thing?

LWolfe said...

I've never heard of one of those in the 'Deen, but that doesn't mean they are legit. Although, Starkville does have it's own way of doing things....like wearing 2-piece dresses to the prom, just an example.

mary straton said...

A Sip and See is totally normal. I've heard of them for wedding gifts, too. I've come to your rescue.

Your spelling has not improved. Let me know if you'd like a tutoring session from yaya and me. We ARE spelling bee veterans after all.

Anonymous said...

i live in dallas, texas and it is very normal for the grandmothers to give sip and sees around here too!

Unknown said...

Heather,
1. I will back you up on this one. We have sip and sees in Memphis too...And as we all know, Memphis is much more sophisticated than most places...so I think it is legit.
2. My grandparents proctor the ACT every Saturday. I can give you their number, and they can give you some pointers. Did yall have to get in the tornado position? I would have been crying!
3. If u typ yur blogg n Mikorsft werd bofere puttin et no her, it well cach al fo yur tipos.

Anonymous said...

Heather, my dear new niece, I've never heard of a sip & see, either, but I do like the idea! Why don't we start the practice in this deep deep South we live in?

The Segrest Family said...

dearest heather,
as i posted on your sister's blog, i had never heard of these 'sip n sees' until i had one of my own! my sister wanted to have one for camp- and i didn't have a clue what she was talking about. and i was born and raised in the capitol city of jackson... still didnt know. i kind of think it is silly, but it is a great way for the fogies to see the kiddo =)
and i as mary stratton said, they have them to sip and see wedding gifts as well. i had heard of this. and i had one when i was engaged, but just for the women in my family, not others.
so there... im kinda coming to your defense, no?
love

Maggie said...

Hi, we've never met, but I love to check out Mary Katherine's friends (and, my husband was in medical school with your sister, at least I think they were).

Just wanted to say that down in McComb, we have Sip and Seees. My mom's friends have them for babies and wedding dresses/wedding gifts, for the 'little old ladies' and out-of-town folks who can't come to the wedding or who haven't met the new baby. We had one for my daughter around Christmas. You're not weird!

Maggie

Hillary Jordan said...

Sweet Heather, you're not crazy... everyone in Corinth knows what a sip n' see is. We've have them all of the time!

Anonymous said...

Sip & See's go way back. Many years ago people would go over to girls' houses who were going out for rush & look at their rush clothes. (That was before shorts & t-shirts.) Also, graduation gifts & wedding presents. By the way, Henry's sip & see was so much fun!
Little John Love Lady