June 20, 2007

a blog-worthy lunch break

I believe that blog-worthy stories happen often in my life. Today's lunch break was no different. On several occasions during the lunch hour i thought to myself "I must blog about this." Dorky? Perhaps. But I care not. I laughed out loud on a number of incidences in this one hour.

I shall set the scene:

Trey and I both work for the university, and one of the many perks of working here is that we are each given a meal allowance on our ID to use on campus. There are many options of food on campus...sushi, Starbucks,Quiznos, chick-fil-a, The PowerHouse, and of course, the school cafeteria. Now, it is not often that I will recomend us eating at the cafeteria. Not because they have bad food...usually the food is pretty good...but because I am a brat and try to avoid cafeteria food (and buffets) at all costs. Well, we are in desperate need of a grocery trip at home and the school is remodeling several eating places on campus this summer, Trey was not feeling the sushi place, thus leaving us with the cafeteria. Either that or starve. I enjoy the salad bar at the cafeteria, so it's cool. Plus, it's free. Come on...you can't beat that.

Anyway, distracted from the point.

We walk into the cafeteria at noon to discover that is it PACKED full of the following group of people:

1) Cheerleader camp
2) Soccer Camp
3) Softball Camp
4) Band / flag Camp

and
5) Nuns
Yes, nuns. In full nun-attire. Not too sure. I don't ask.

So immediately Trey and I found ourselves in between 13 year old girls in cheerleader uniform, 15 year-old stinky boys talking about band camp, and nuns. huh. One ironic scene was a young cheerleader with colored fishnet stockings on, mulit-colored hair pieces in (new squad look, perhaps?) and a little-bitty top on standing next to a nun. I wonder what that nun was thinking.
Trey and I finally got our seats (next to a soccer camp, i believe) Trey gets up to get more drink at which point a group of pre-teen cheerleaders wave and smirk at him and then walk off, all giggling. I am sure Trey was both flattered and a little freaked out all at the same time.
I laughed.

Trey then decides he wants to go get some ice cream...from the self-served ice cream machine. He was in line behind three boys, probably 13 or 14, VERY awkward and somewhat smelly. All boys were in competition with each other to see how big they could make there ice cream cone. Trey was getting SO frustrated because they kept laughing and spilling ice cream everywhere.

He finally got his ice cream and we decided to leave the cafeteria and go to Barnes and Nobles, since we still had thirty minutes left on our lunch break. Well, inside we noticed that this was a very popular place for the campers (and nuns) to be after lunch. THEY WERE EVERYWHERE. (and practicing cheer routines, which would have made Laura throw up) Anyway, I can see my story is getting lengthy. Thanks for those who are still reading.

I see a book on sale ($6.99 from $25.00...what a steal!) that I decided I needed. So I found Trey and told him that I was going to buy it. His response? (very loudly, I will add, and in front of highly giggly pre-teen and teenage girls)

"I will never say no to a book. Buy the book. Buy two books. I will never say no to reading."

Uh...thanks? Wasn't asking for permission really.

He was serious. He said this in a very dorky-fatherly way. The cheerleaders laughed and I knew without a doubt that Trey and I were immediately labeled nerds.

So much for the hopes of still being cool.

In the checkout line with my book in hand (because, afterall, Trey will never say no to a book. DORK) I noticed a magazine with Nicole Ritchie's picture on the front cover with accusations that she is pregnant because of a bump. BUMP? WHAT BUMP? I think it is time that we all re-examine what a pregnant woman should look like. I assure you...Nicole Ritchie is not it. If that's a baby bump, then ladies, we are all in trouble. I immediately looked down at my "post-cafeteria-lunch-bump" and sighed in relief that paparazzi was not taking pictures of my no-baby-bump, but bump none-the-less, belly. By their standards, I would be labeled at least 5 months pregnant.

So that was my lunch break.
Moral of story: Tomorrow I am going home to eat
.

10 comments:

mary straton said...

I am very much anti-buffet - too much potential for food poisoning. I don't like the idea of bacteria having a party in my food.

I believe the nun attire is called a habit.

LT (and Max) said...

that's fabulous really.
i'm glad it was you and not me that was surrounded by those ridiculous cheerleaders. what will i do one day if i'm a cheerleader mom? man.

i can totally hear trey saying that about the book. gotta love him.

The Kosko Family said...

that story was hilarious.....

The Benjamins said...

Thanks for sharing about your lunch! I love your stories!

Little Daddy said...

Great story -- brings back lots of memories. I was fortunate or unfortunate, depends on ones point of view, to work in the cafeteria as a student at State. The summers were the worst in that every organization in the world -- those you mentioned and others -- came to campus for some sort of summer thing. Back then there was no place to eat on campus except the cafeteria and the grill, so all of these groups would clog up all of the lines making it very difficult for students to eat and get back to classes. Frustrating to say the least. Funny I don't remember any groups of nuns.
Thanks for the memories.

The Davidsons said...

LOVE IT! That is so funny. We're book nerds at our house!

Tricia said...

Caleb too will never say no to reading. Maybe Trey and Caleb should form a book club. Caleb's reading an encyclopedia volume on Abraham Lincoln right now. He gets excited about certain parts and reads them aloud. (it's really just a huge book, not really an encyclopedia).

Lee Herrin said...

i hate to admit this, but i was once one of those fools at cheerleader camp! ya'll are too funny. and, i see you make blog headers for people. i need a good creative facelift on mine!

Anonymous said...

Loved it! I know you were never silly at camp--it's just not your way. LJLL

Jenny said...

hahah!! i laughed out loud at this post, b/c i could totally "see" all of it happening. :-)