April 25, 2008

Q = quarter-life birthday

I am leaving today after work and heading to Starkville to celebrate my quarter life birthday with the fam. I can't wait. I simply love birthdays. Not just mine, but all birthdays. But let's face it - I love mine the most. Call me selfish.

I love strawberry cake with cream cheese icing. and cards. and opening gifts. and I love it when people sing the happy birthday song to me. You know how some people get embarassed when they get sung to in public, like at a Mexican restaurant where they stick an oversized sombrero on your head and shout a hearty "feliz cumpleanos, amie!" over and over? Well, I don't get embarassed. In fact, it is safe to say I love it when that happens.

Take my 22nd birthday. All my friends were celebrating with me at the Courthouse in Starkville (which is now Mugshots. Was it Mugshots then? Or the Courthouse? Can't recall) There was a girl there who was having a going away party with her friends. She was leaving for Mexico for study abroad or something. I don't know. All I know is that she had a sombrero on in honor of her travels south of the border. I thought this to be unfair. It was MY birthday party and MY birthday is on Cinco de Mayo. It was only fitting that I wear the hat, not the other girl. So Jordan told me to go take it from her. I am not sure if she was serious or not, but I took her very seriously. The next thing she knew I was be-boping back to our table wearing an oversized sombrero. I still have the picture of Jordan and me in that hat from that night in my office. It makes me smile. Lucky for all of you, I have a scanner in my office: Here's the picture


All this to say, I am pumped. I will be 25. That is half-way to 30. Not technically, I do know simple math, but it is half-way between 20 and 30. So I officially feel old.

Just kidding. Never. I will never feel old. Write that down.

Mama - put on your party pants and birthday hat, I am coming to town.

8 comments:

LT (and Max) said...

yay for birthdays!!! we will celebrate indeed. can't wait to see you!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love birthdays, too! As far as I'm concerned...they should be holidays! Happy BIG birthday...25 is really fun!

The Benjamins said...

Your 22nd birthday sure was fun! I hope this one is just as great! Are you starting a week long celebration? :)

Anonymous said...

Oops! I put strawberry icing on your cake instead of cream cheese! Is that acceptable??? And, no worries--I have my party pants on as we speak; birthday hat is debatable.

See you very soon!
Mom

Leigh Ann said...

Well, I will be celebrating my 30th birthday next month, and let me tell you...I do NOT feel old! Really, it doesn't seem like I should be thirty already. So enjoy your birthday and eat lots and lots of cake! (and how cool is it to have a birthday on Cinco de Mayo??)

JordanandSaundersRamsey said...

Oh my goodness...I forgot all about that!!! How funny were you that night! I think I almost got you beat up!! haha!!!! GREAT MEMORIES!!! I miss you and am ready to see you!!! love you tons!
Jo

Anisa said...

happy birthday!

i just made a strawberry cake with cream cheese icing for a friend whose bday is tomorrow.

i totally know what you mean about sharing birthdays...last year, i think we were at outback and someone was getting happy birthday sung to them. i was so mad at their attention - it was MY birthday! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Feather....It seems like just yesterday that you were on the Christmas video eating. LJLL