April 14, 2008

I is for "I couldn't make this up"

Ok, even my wild imagination couldn't come up with the following story:
So yesterday morning I was inside getting ready for early service. It was about 7:45. Trey was outside with Sophie. He came back inside with a strange look on his face and then proceeded to ask if I dumped out globs of chocolate in the middle of the front yard.

Sure, hunny. That's exactly what I did. How random. No. No chocolate was poured on my part.

He then went back outside without saying a word.

A few minutes later he walked back into the house announcing we had crude oil bubbling up in our front yard.

huh. ok then.

So I walked outside to what appeared to be crude oil bubbling up in our front yard. It's not quiet as dramatic as when Jed Clampett found oil in his yard - no oil is spraying up 10 feet in the air. No, it's much more subtle. One oil bubble is the size of a dinner plate, however.

My first thought: keep Sophie away.
My next thought: we just made millions.

Once Trey got the idea of the millions out of my mind (What? It happened to the Clampetts), we decided to call our friend Toby who is our district's State Representative. He came over and 98% confirmed what we thought: we had crude oil bubbling up in our front yard! He gave us numbers of the people to call to get everything squared away, and to see if it is actually oil. and if it's not...what the heck is it? And if you are wondering, as my in-laws did, it's not sewer. We have city plumbing. Trust me: not sewage- it smells of tar.

So now we have people from the city, state, and environmental safety coming to look at the crude oil bubbling in our front yard - in the middle of the city.

I have been praying for a way to get a new house: if it's crude oil that gets me one, so be it.

Also, if we happen to be living on a major oil refinery, I would like to be on Oprah, please. So, Oprah, if you are out there reading my blog in your spare time, give me a call.


In the meantime, you can call me Ellie May.
Will keep you updated on this potential gold mine, i mean oil mine.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

By all means, keep your parents updated on this. And, remember...the Clampetts took all their relatives with them when they moved to Beverly...Hills that is! So....you know what to do!

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

By all means, keep your parents updated on this. And, remember...the Clampetts took all their relatives with them when they moved to Beverly...Hills that is! So....you know what to do!

Love,
Mom

LT (and Max) said...

hahahaha!!!!

The Benjamins said...

This would only happen to you! I can't wait to find out what is next! (Oh, by the way, John is one of your newest blog readers! He thinks you're crazy!)

John Wesley Leek said...

Wow. Keep us updated. It sounds like either big money or environmental catastrophe. I hope it's the former.

Have y'all called the news? They might find this to be an interesting story.

The Segrest Family said...

soooo fun! you really should write a book - or a column or something. you crack me up!
and did i miss something?! when did y'all get robbed? did i miss the post on that?

The Texas VicHorns said...

What a stroke of luck! I always thought you were destined to become famous. I think this is your shot!

Be sure to let us know what Oprah says!

Tracy~ said...

When you go on Opray, can you score me tickets to her favorite things episode?

I think you should call the news for sure!

Tracy~ said...

I meant Oprah - not Opray