April 17, 2008

M = Melita and Mommy

Obviously Melita and Mommy are the same thing. Well, maybe not so obvious if you do not know my mommy. Which, by the way, if you don't - you are seriously missing out.

(Mama and Daddy. I think they look alike.)

I remember very distinctly this one time I got lost in Wal-Mart. I am somewhat a scatter brain now...I am assuming the same goes for a 5 year old Heather. Anyway, the Wal-Mart lady noticed I was lost (I was in the sewing section) and asked what my mom's name was.
"Mommy", I sad. What a dumb question.
"Ok, but what is her other name?" - she said.
"Mama?"- I answered.
I knew all along it was Melita...I remember that very clearly, but it seemed wrong to say it out loud. She finally got me to say my mom's name: "Melita". It was the first time I called her anything but Mama or Mommy. It was clearly a defining point in my life.

Yesterday I talked about my sisters. I thought about including my mom on that post, as she looks (and acts) more like a sister than a mom, but decided she needed her own special day.

My mom is so beautiful...in every way. She is naturally beautiful on the outside, but also naturally beautiful on the inside. She has a JOY (hence her name: Melita Joy) that shines so brightly wherever she is. She lights up a room.

Through the years she has always put the three of us before herself. Her needs didn't matter to her as long as her 3 girls were taken care of. She is so very selfless. Growing up (even during the dreadful years of 3 dramatic teenage girls) I never remember her raising her voice. She has a gentle---patient--- spirit that I PRAY I have when I have I have kids. (Because Lord knows I don't have it now!!)
(the girls.)
She is the kind of mommy (is it bad that I am 24 and 349 days old and still call her "mommy"?) that makes the world a better place. When we were little she stayed home with us - she smocked our clothes (we dressed alike until we were probably way too old.), braided our hair, cooked our meals, drove us to practice (piano, ballet, softball, whatever) helped with our homework, took us swimming, everything, while at the same time being a wonderful wife to my daddy. She was (and is) a super mama. As we got older, she learned to let go and watch us make mistakes...but then picked us up when we would fall so hard without judging us - just loving us. She is our biggest cheerleader and honestly our best friend.

Looking back I can see that I was not as nice to her as I should have been. I guess I took her for granted. I can say with FULL affirmation that I do not take her for granted anymore. I love her with my whole heart and hope to be just like her when I grow up.

(My mom, the day Henry was born. there were plenty of chairs in the waiting room, yet when we looked over, she was happily coloring while sitting in a kid's chair. Ok, then.)

To know her is to love her. People always tell me what a sweet mama I have. I just smile and say "i know."

Now you know, M is for Melita - my mommy.

5 comments:

haileyrenea said...

I remember once when I was at the skating rink I ran up to someone who was wearing a similar shirt as my mom, so I grabbed onto her and in complete horror realized I had just grabbed a stranger.

It was traumatizing.

The Benjamins said...

You have such a sweet Mama! Love her!

Sam H said...

I liked the subtlety with which you reminded everyone your birthday is coming up. Clever indeed....

LT (and Max) said...

awwww....i loved it! you did a great job describing our wonderful mother!

Ashley Jessie said...

The last two posts about your mother and sisters are priceless and precious. Definitely my favorite thus far! Enjoy reading your blog.