August 9, 2007

political party crash

Trey and I have friends in high places. that's right. One friend is the republican nomination for State Rep. in Forrest County (shout out to TOBY!) Another friend is in the run-off to become the republican candidate for a district in Petal. GO CHAD! Anyway, so Tuesday night Chad's family and friend's gathered at his parent's home to watch the polls. The food was amazing. Once again, friend's in high places: another dear friend is opening a restaurant here in the 'burg in the next month or so, so he catered this fabulous event. (throw in my plug for Caliente coming soon to Hardy Street)

At this point I shall set the scene:

The party was thrown at the home of Chad's mom and dad and was beauitful. Decorated precisely. Every picture, vase, and do-dads were placed exactly where they belonged. It was gorgeous and decorated with an American theme just for the party. People everywhere. Kids, adults, teenagers. everything. we were all having a grand ole' time.

The polls were coming in and each time the phone rang everyone became silent as we anticipated another result. Things were looking good. Chad was in the lead.

Once we all realized that Chad's lead was pretty secure, everyone (all 70 people) continued to enjoy the fabulous food and fellowship. It was getting pretty loud.

At this point, I, "oh clumsy one", was standing in the living room chatting with one of Trey's old friends. Yes, when I talk I use all limbs. Arms flare and hands are raised, but honestly in my defense, I was being calm. This was, afterall, a political party in a stranger's home.

This is when it happened. I stepped back to allow another friend to make his way through the crowd when a loud crash emerged from the chatter and phone ringing. The room went silent as they starred in my direction. You could have heard a pin drop.


I had broken a big beautiful vase. I turned around in hopes to find a non-breakable glass vase in a beautiful ornate design lying on the brick hearth unphased by the hard fall it took, but instead my worst fears became a reality. It had shattered. Trey heard the commotion from the next room and walked in to find me on the ground picking up the remains of what was once a beautiful focal point. He told me to stand in the corner and touch nothing.

The father of Chad, and owner of the vase no-less, smiled politely and told me not to think another thing about it. Sweet man. I had known him for no more than 2 hours and already I was destroying his beautiful home. The wife was not in the room at this time. I knew she would be the one to tell. Trey wouldn't know a nice vase from a dollar tree one, so I made the assumption that this nice gentleman might have been the same. I had to find the woman. I walked outside where she was standing with a group of church ladies and made my confession. She hugged me. I almost cried. She wouldn't let me pay her. (i offered all that I had, which pay day was last week, so she was in luck)

Anyway, so an aplogy letter is in the mail to this kind lady, but my question is this: what is the proper etiquette when you break a nice (probably expensive and probably antique) vase in a stranger's home??

Someone help me.


I am a clutz.




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh no! you poor thing. sounds like you are on the right track with the apology note. on the bright side, chad won. if not, his mother might not have been so forgiving.

i'm kidding. accidents happen. they sound like nice people and they probably thought you were cute and sweet. i am also a klutz...yesterday at the grocery store, my EV olive oil broke on the conveyor belt and got everything all oily. it was gross. then, i managed to slam my cart full of grocerys into an ATM and set off an alarm.

this comment was more like a novel. sorry.

Wade's World said...

I think you did exactly what you should have done. If you apologized and offered to pay, and she turned you down, I think you are off the hook. The apology note was a very nice gesture. I am sure she will really appreciate it.

mary straton said...

H, I believe these “do-dads” you speak of are called “sit-arounds” per Nana.

I checked my Peggy Post Etiquette book (which sits atop my desk for just such an occasion), and Peggy does say that when “an unfortunate accident occurs, which although it may have been entirely beyond our control, requires that we send a note of apology.” So, you are right on. I suggest perhaps sending the hostess flowers as well?

Poor Feather. I fell down in front of the security guard. He had to help me up.

The Benjamins said...

This would only happen to you (and to my clumsy self to). Oh, the stuff you get your self into!

Anna Little said...

Oh Heather. You are so funny! I know you must feel terrible, but really... if you have stuff like that sitting around in a house of 70 people, you gotta expect something like that to happen. Seriously. I think you're perfectly fine with an apology note and the verbal "I'm so sorry." You are too cute, so I'm sure they couldn't possibly get mad at you. Plus, if they have such a great house (like you explained in the post), they probably can afford a broken vase or two. It'll be fine!

Unknown said...

Ok, so that standing invitation I had extended for you to come visit, has now been anulled. We have WAY to many nice things fur a clutz like you to be around. Maybe you can come visit and stay at the Hampton Inn. Or maybe in a padded room at the asylum downtown. Just a thought.

Tracy~ said...

Oh Heather - I could feel your pain reading this! I'm a totaly klutz. Your apology note is just right and how could they not forgive you - you are too cute!

Amanda is mean :)

Jack, Emily, SB & Annie said...

Remind me to put away all our nice, breakable things before you come visit Murphwood. Also, could you wear a diaper when you come? I'm a little worried about your incontinence problem.

Little Daddy said...

I'm glad you were at a Republican function -- most of them have money -- I being one of the exceptions. I'm a GOP PWT (figure it out).

They were so happy Chad won they could care less about the vase -- anyway it will probably be listed as a campaign expense -- not to worry.