August 7, 2007

geology, geography, geometry

I was never good in any of the above subjects. Rocks? who cares. Numbers? COUNT ME OUT. but one thing that I really sort of wish I had paid attention to is geography. I mean, I know the good ole' US of A and I am above average at naming the county seats in each county in Mississippi, but my knowledge of this somewhat blah subject does not exceed too far past that.

Also history. Hated it. I mean, I liked it alright in high school but then I got to college and had a meanie stupid-head for a teacher. If you are out there reading this, Mr. Corey, I don't care. I am admitting now to the 4 page teacher evaluation that you recieved in 2002. That was me. There-- I said it.

Why am I talking such nonsense, you may ask? Simple. I have a little map at the bottom right hand corner of this here blog with red dots that show all the places where the adventures of the Skaggs family has been viewed.

One problem: I don't know which country is which. Embarassing? perhaps. I told Trey this problem and he said that it would do me good to learn them anyway and that he wasn't going to help. He then proceeded to tell me that one night he and a friend wanted to see how many countries they could list. They stopped at 179. When I told him that I could name no less than 20, but no more than 30, the conversation ended. He was ashamed.

Anyway, so I know Italy looks like a boot and stuff like that, but the small islands? Come on, readers, help me out.

My curiosity has gotten the best of me and I am very much interested in who is reading this thing from the far far east (or west, i don't know).

I am really pulling for Bangladesh. Anyone reading from Bangladesh? Yes? No?

So, readers, if you could name a country that has a red dot, it will be very much appreciated. Better yet, reveal yourself, you far-off reader. But regardless, I should have listened more carefully in school.

Thanks for your time.


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I love it. Heather, I doubt I could list more than 30 countries either. You're not alone.

mary straton said...

i think you and yaya should have a contest to see who can name more county seats.

Do you vote for 2 Bits today?

LWolfe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LWolfe said...

'm so terrible at geography; although, mrs. millroy was very entertaining. my mom has a masters in geography and history. she would smoke that map! when we were headed to blake greene's wedding in macon, georgia, i thought we were going "down to georgia." travis hasn't let me forget that. i'll put together some test for you. start studying.

Anonymous said...

Countries and their capitals
Afghanistan - Kabul
Albania - Tirane
Algeria - Algiers
Andorra - Andorra la Vella
Angola - Luanda
Antigua and Barbuda - Saint John's
Argentina - Buenos Aires
Armenia - Yerevan
Australia - Canberra
Austria - Vienna
Azerbaijan - Baku
The Bahamas - Nassau
Bahrain - Manama
Bangladesh - Dhaka
Barbados - Bridgetown
Belarus - Minsk
Belgium - Brussels
Belize - Belmopan
Benin - Porto-Novo
Bhutan - Thimphu
Bolivia - La Paz (administrative); Sucre (judicial)
Bosnia and Herzegovina - Sarajevo
Botswana - Gaborone
Brazil - Brasilia
Brunei - Bandar Seri Begawan
Bulgaria - Sofia
Burkina Faso - Ouagadougou
Burundi - Bujumbura
Cambodia - Phnom Penh
Cameroon - Yaounde
Canada - Ottawa
Cape Verde - Praia
Central African Republic - Bangui
Chad - N'Djamena
Chile - Santiago
China - Beijing
Colombia - Bogota
Comoros - Moroni
Congo, Republic of the - Brazzaville
Congo, Democratic Republic of the - Kinshasa
Costa Rica - San Jose
Cote d'Ivoire - Yamoussoukro (official); Abidjan (de facto)
Croatia - Zagreb
Cuba - Havana
Cyprus - Nicosia
Czech Republic - Prague
Denmark - Copenhagen
Djibouti - Djibouti
Dominica - Roseau
Dominican Republic - Santo Domingo
East Timor - Dili
Ecuador - Quito
Egypt - Cairo
El Salvador - San Salvador
Equatorial Guinea - Malabo
Eritrea - Asmara
Estonia - Tallinn
Ethiopia - Addis Ababa
Fiji - Suva
Finland - Helsinki
France - Paris
Gabon - Libreville
The Gambia - Banjul
Georgia - Tbilisi
Germany - Berlin
Ghana - Accra
Greece - Athens
Grenada - Saint George's
Guatemala - Guatemala City
Guinea - Conakry
Guinea-Bissau - Bissau
Guyana - Georgetown
Haiti - Port-au-Prince
Honduras - Tegucigalpa
Hungary - Budapest
Iceland - Reykjavik
India - New Delhi
Indonesia - Jakarta
Iran - Tehran
Iraq - Baghdad
Ireland - Dublin
Israel - Jerusalem
Italy - Rome
Jamaica - Kingston
Japan - Tokyo
Jordan - Amman
Kazakhstan - Astana
Kenya - Nairobi
Kiribati - Tarawa Atoll
Korea, North - Pyongyang
Korea, South - Seoul
Kuwait - Kuwait City
Kyrgyzstan - Bishkek
Laos - Vientiane
Latvia - Riga
Lebanon - Beirut
Lesotho - Maseru
Liberia - Monrovia
Libya - Tripoli
Liechtenstein - Vaduz
Lithuania - Vilnius
Luxembourg - Luxembourg
Macedonia - Skopje
Madagascar - Antananarivo
Malawi - Lilongwe
Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur
Maldives - Male
Mali - Bamako
Malta - Valletta
Marshall Islands - Majuro
Mauritania - Nouakchott
Mauritius - Port Louis
Mexico - Mexico City
Federated States of Micronesia - Palikir
Moldova - Chisinau
Monaco - Monaco
Mongolia - Ulaanbaatar
Montenegro - Podgorica
Morocco - Rabat
Mozambique - Maputo
Myanmar (Burma) - Rangoon (Yangon); Nay Pyi Taw (administrative)
Namibia - Windhoek
Nauru - no official capital; government offices in Yaren District
Nepal - Kathmandu
Netherlands - Amsterdam; The Hague (seat of government)
New Zealand - Wellington
Nicaragua - Managua
Niger - Niamey
Nigeria - Abuja
Norway - Oslo
Oman - Muscat
Pakistan - Islamabad
Palau - Melekeok
Panama - Panama City
Papua New Guinea - Port Moresby
Paraguay - Asuncion
Peru - Lima
Philippines - Manila
Poland - Warsaw
Portugal - Lisbon
Qatar - Doha
Romania - Bucharest
Russia - Moscow
Rwanda - Kigali
Saint Kitts and Nevis - Basseterre
Saint Lucia - Castries
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines - Kingstown
Samoa - Apia
San Marino - San Marino
Sao Tome and Principe - Sao Tome
Saudi Arabia - Riyadh
Senegal - Dakar
Serbia - Belgrade
Seychelles - Victoria
Sierra Leone - Freetown
Singapore - Singapore
Slovakia - Bratislava
Slovenia - Ljubljana
Solomon Islands - Honiara
Somalia - Mogadishu
South Africa - Pretoria (administrative); Cape Town (legislative); Bloemfontein (judiciary)
Spain - Madrid
Sri Lanka - Colombo; Sri Jayewardenepura Kotte (legislative)
Sudan - Khartoum
Suriname - Paramaribo
Swaziland - Mbabana
Sweden - Stockholm
Switzerland - Bern
Syria - Damascus
Taiwan - Taipei
Tajikistan - Dushanbe
Tanzania - Dar es Salaam; Dodoma (legislative)
Thailand - Bangkok
Togo - Lome
Tonga - Nuku'alofa
Trinidad and Tobago - Port-of-Spain
Tunisia - Tunis
Turkey - Ankara
Turkmenistan - Ashgabat
Tuvalu - Vaiaku village, Funafuti province
Uganda - Kampala
Ukraine - Kyiv
United Arab Emirates - Abu Dhabi
United Kingdom - London
United States - Washington D.C.
Uruguay - Montevideo
Uzbekistan - Tashkent
Vanuatu - Port-Vila
Vatican City (Holy See) - Vatican City
Venezuela - Caracas
Vietnam - Hanoi
Yemen - Sanaa
Zambia - Lusaka
Zimbabwe - Harare

Unknown said...

no you didn't.

Anonymous said...

whoever posted all the countries and their capitals MUST have cheated and gotten it off the internet somewhere.

heather -- in 9th grade my geography teacher taught our class the countries with the animaniacs song. i still remember it.

LT (and Max) said...

we're so much alike...i pulled up the map on my blog and i too was asking where all of the red dots were from. weird. :)

Unknown said...

Dont worry little Heather...I once made the mistake of saying I didnt know Idaho was on the Canadian border (I think it was Idaho), and Luke printed off a blank map of the United States immediately, and I couldnt even get all of those right.

Good thing we could find our room in the KD house!

JordanandSaundersRamsey said...

I worry about you!

Anonymous said...

heather. never fear. i also share your "deficiency" in geography. for the record, i am also a terrible speller (Laura told me this about you). but look how great we turned out!

Tracy~ said...

I don't like anonymous... I think he/she cheated.

Amanda made me laugh - finding your way in the KD house!

Trace~

mary straton said...

did you get my emails? email me when you get a chance:

msmith@mississippi.org
mary_straton@hotmail.com

Little Daddy said...

I must really be stupid -- I couldn't even find the map with the red dots. I did see a globe --does that count?

I got a comment from someone in Kuala Lampur wherever that is.

Anonymous said...

Heather,
thanks so much for help with the page!! I'm just not good with the computer stuff!

Haley

Anna Little said...

Communications majors unite! We hate numbers and geography!! Yuck!