If you are a faithful reader, you might have read about the fact that I volunteer on the weekends with a local hospice by visiting an alzheimer's patient who lives with her daughter and son-in-law. Precious lady.
After visiting with her and her caregivers Saturday, I left her house in tears - I knew it would probably be the last time I saw her. I could tell it was close to time for her to pass.
Well, I got word at about 8:30 this morning that she did, in fact, pass away early this morning. I cried at my desk.
I told myself when I decided to do this that I would not become too attached to the patient. They are hospice patients, and by the definition of hospice - they are all dying. Let me just say that it is much easier said than done. I was so attached to sweet ms. lucille, and her family.
I am going to miss her, but after seeing her on Saturday and seeing the pain and suffering that was going on, I know that it is all for the best. She is in a much better place now - free of all her pain and no more terrible alzheimer's disease. She is free now!
If you are a praying person, please keep her family in your prayers. It was not an unexpected death by any means...they have been preparing for this day for years...but it does not make it any easier. When I was visiting with the family on Saturday, they were all very anxious and felt comepletly helpless. I know they must be experiencing a sense of peace about it all, but death is never easy and they are heartbroken. Just pray for this griefing process. It is not easy, even when the death is so inevitable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I really hate to hear that Heather. Her family and you are in my prayers!
you're so sweet. i'm so sorry about this news.
I'm sorry to hear about Ms. Lucille.
Aww....well I know Ms. Lucille was blessed to have you in her life over the past few months. It's a good feeling to know that she is as free as a bird now!!!
Such sad news. Jordan is right Ms. Lucille was blessed to have you and you were blessed to have Ms. Lucille! Thinking about you!
I've been meaning to tell you how awesome I think you are for volunteering in that way. Your heart is obviously bigger than life! :)
I'm sorry to hear about Ms. Lucille's passing. But you're absolutely right, she's free now and out of pain and her memory has been fully restored. I'll be thinking of her family (and you) as the days go on.
God Bless You!!!
I'm so sorry to hear about Ms. Lucille. I know her family and you are sad and grieving. I will put them and you in my prayers.
I, too, think you are wonderful for volunteering for hospice. In the line of work I am in, I work with hospice workers and they are a special group of people. YOu have a wonderful heart.
Sorry to hear your sad news. God bless.
Heather! I am so sad about Ms. Lucille. I know what a blessing she was in your life, and I know how greatly you impacted hers these last months. What a sweet person to share your life with her. I know this is probably bringing up old emotions for you, and I will keep you and her family in my prayers. Love you.
Post a Comment