November 6, 2010

stanky mouth

I went to the dentist Thursday. First time since before I became pregnant. Yes, that was over a year ago. Don't judge. I've been busy.

Point is not the distance between last visit. The point is that I have five cavities. Count them. 5.

I cried. Not in the chair, although I wanted to. I waited until I got in the car and called my mom. A bit melodramatic for cavities, I know. What can I say. I am still a touch emotional.

I have had one cavity in my life up until this point. They say pregnancy and nursing can play a negative role in your dental health. Apparently my body knows to give Jones first of all nutrients I take in. Thought it was a wives's tale. Here I am today to say it's not.

I floss. I brush. I even Listerine. To no avail.

At about 200 bucks a cavity, I am less than thrilled about this baby adventure.

The sweet dentist told me it happens to a lot of women. And that my teeth otherwise were great.

Except for the one cavity that will need a crown in about a year. What am I? A 50 year old smoker? I die.

Thanks for letting me vent.

2 comments:

Owen and Erin said...

It happened to me too. I had one cavity (first one since I was a child). I did get a little annoyed and the cavity hurt! I almost passed out in the chair. The dentist got so nervous he left the room and made the nurse come it. I was embarrassed to say the least. I also have a crown which I got after Andrew.

Brittany and Robert Ridgway said...

I love that you titled this 'stanky mouth'. Funniest thing I've seen all day!