November 24, 2010

Him? Big? Me? Tired? Yes and Yes

I took Jones to the doctor today. For the past week or so I have noticed very dark, red circles under his eyes. Some days he looks like he has a black eye. Strangers always comment "Aww...it's nap time". No, it's not. Leave my kid alone.



Turns out he just has a cold. Minor stuff. Congestion, which explains the runny nose/stuffy nose none sense. Over the counter remedies and we are good.



That's not the problem.



Enter the scale: 25.2 lbs. Yes, that is right. He is 7 months old.



The doctor told me he was pretty large. No kidding, Sherlock. Check out my biceps. I know the babe is big.



Then she asked me a million dollar question: "Do you ever feed him in the middle of the night?"

Umm, yes. Sometimes more than once. He cries. He acts hungry. I feed him. He goes back to sleep. Sue me.



She then proceeded to tell me to never, ever again feed him in the middle of the night. He doesn't need it. He is just used to it. He is getting too many calories. And I deserve to sleep through the night. (I concur)



I told her that I do let him cry it out some, but then he cries himself in a corner, falls asleep off the sensor pad and sets off the alarm on the Angel Monitor. I run in, wake him up and we start the process all over again.



She told me there was one simple solution: get rid of the blankity-blank Angel Monitor and let him cry.(ok, no curse words were actually used, but I could feel her hatred for the thing)


So I am doing it. I did not turn on the monitor. He has been asleep for twenty minutes and I have already checked on him twice. I am such a freak.



That monitor has been a sore subject since day one. I think I hear that awful alarm during the day (while holding Jones at times. Ca-razy, I am.), I wake Trey up screaming that the alarm is going off, when clearly it is not and I can not handle when Laura's phone is about to die because it reminds me of the alarm noise.



I tell you again, I am nuts.



So wish me luck. Tonight I say goodbye to the motion/breathing monitor. We are going old school, readers. I am letting him cry it out. No more nursing in the middle of the night. No more middle of the night false alarm scares. No more crazy.



PS - Doctor? Are you a reader? If so, you should have told that girl in the waiting room feeding her twin 8 month old boys Frito chili pies from Checkers that she should stop. If I have to give up my middle of the night nursing rendezvous, then she should have to stop feeding her infants fast food.

7 comments:

Ford Family said...

This made me laugh so hard. Get a pillow wedge that keeps babies from rolling on their stomachs. It gave me peace of mind- big time!! He will totally slim up as he starts walking. He is such a doll! Ginger is 18 months and weighs 25 lbs, and people ask me all the time if she's 2 or older.

Anonymous said...

Okay so I fed my son during the night until around 8 months, but he only weighed 21 lbs at a year. And I was pretty sure he was waking up out of habit, but crying it out didn't work. He must get a stubborn streak from his dads would cry for hours - eventhough I went in every so many minutes like Ferber said...Needless to say I either fed him or rocked him back to sleep after trying the other a few nights. Finally at 8 or 9 months, I tried my own method and we had success after two or three nights. And neither he cried off and on for an hour the first night and 20 minutes the next. And my method was to go in pick him up, love on him, then lay him down and pat his back for a few seconds, and then lay him back down. Then he'd start crying again and I'd let him cry for 5 minutes and do it again, increasing the time betweensoothing by a minute each time.

As for the angel monitor, we only had a false alarm once. It was when he was around four months and he had gotten in the corner. Are you sure you don't have yours set too sensitive? Also, by 1 year I disabled the sensor.

The Benjamins said...

Good luck with that! Maggs got use to middle of the night snacks too and it was difficult on all of us to get rid of. I love the Frito chili pie story! Ha! :)

Jan Johnson said...

You are absolutely hilarious! And I'm happy your doctor is giving you that advice even though I know it may be so difficult for the both of you. Do you have a video monitor? I'm addicted to it like you are the angel monitor but at least I don't have to run back in the baby's room, I can just look at the monitor and see them moving/breathing. It is hard but you have to just let it go and trust in God. Jones is in His hands and it's not up to you to make sure he's still breathing. Remind yourself that God is watching over him and even if Jones was asleep on your chest, if God wanted Jones to stop breathing, he would. I know that's so hard, I was obsessive with my firstborn but it's the only way you're going to ever get any rest! Hang in there, you're doing great! :)

The Hendrix Family said...

I'm laughing out loud. Just read it to my mom. She is cracking up too. Jones and Cobb can be the awkward big boys, and we moms can be nuts together!! I'm sure Cobb gets too many calories...but when they are screaming, you'll do anything. Right? Hope last night went ok.

Kelli said...

Heather, you are a GREAT mom. Your doctor is probably right that he doesn't need the middle of the night feedings, but I know it will be very difficult on you letting him cry. I, too, am addicted to my video monitor as Jan said. If you don't have one, it is a GREAT investment. Wanda gave me one when Sally Sharp was born, and I have loved it! Mine is just a little handheld one that I can take with me all over the house...very nice indeed (made by Summer). I also agree with Jan in that you have to remember God is in control here. Since Jones was doing so well with sleeping before he got sick, I really think he will probably get the hang of it after 3 or 4 nights. Hang in there. I know you probably don't want my advice :), so just ignore if it makes you frustrated!! Happy Thanksgiving.

Dale and Holly said...

Heather, your blogs are the delight of my day. You are so freaking witty! Nuts is not the word - funny is!