January 27, 2010

call me Mrs. Skaggs

I will be busy tomorrow and Friday shaping the young minds of America.

That's right. I will be teaching high school tomorrow and Friday. Subject? History. I am just glad it's not math.

I am nervous about the following things:

1) I have to potty at least every half-hour to an hour. How do pregnant teachers hold it? And I am told that they have the block schedule. I think that means longer classes.

2) I also eat a lot. Can I pack snacks? Hide crackers under my desk? I am not a pleasant hungry pregnant woman.

3) Have you seen the size of high school boys? They will tower over me, I am sure.

4) That I will not be the only pregnant girl in the class.

5) History

Other than that I am totally pumped. This will give me something to hopefully look forward to. Not that I don't love the time I spend cleaning house, walking, cooking and nesting, but I must admit, it is slightly lonely at times. I am so used to being around people all the time. I am sure this will change when Jones comes around. And, yes, I am enjoying resting whenever I like. I have been told to take advantage. So I am. I am totally not complaining.

Trey's only advice was to not be a nerdy sub. I asked him what constitutes a nerdy sub to which he quickly responded a nerdy sub is one who announces that they do, in fact, have a college degree and then proceeds to list all the books they read while in college.

And to think, I was going to hang up my diploma in the classroom.

what advice, other than none-nerdy subbing, do you have?

Got to go pick out my school clothes and pack my lunch. I'll report in tomorrow afternoon for a full update.

9 comments:

Gracie said...

I do it everyday, Heather. You will be shocked at how immature they are....even the big ones that tower over you. They are babies. You will be totally fine.

The Shermans said...

I CANNOT wait to hear. You'll be fine. You can be firm and still be nice, so don't feel like you have to go in and be the big bad wolf. They'll love you. And amen to what Gracie said. You'll be amazed at how they think they're so old, but they're just babies.

LT (and Max) said...

you HAVE to be mean. Go in there and threaten them with their lives.

The Benjamins said...

I so wish it was Math. You'll do great!

Claire said...

Make them think you are certifiable. Makes them JUST the right amount of nervous in your presence so that they won't want to test your limits. Or, as I call it when speaking with them, "test my gangster."

Good luck, and PLEASE come back with a detailed report!!

Nan said...

Please write a follow-up blog to let us know how this goes. You will do great.

Wade's World said...

I'm loving your concern about not being the only pregnant person in the class. I totally cracked up at that!

Have fun!

Tracy~ said...

See - I feel opposite than the others.... I say be fun and don't make them work! Play games! :)
That makes you a non-nerdy sub!

Can't wait to hear how it went!

Ford Family said...

Ready for a full update! In my experience with teaching high school and middle school, you have to be mean!!! If they think you are trying to be buddy-buddy with them, they will eat you alive! :)