I am a working mom now. It's fine. I really like my job - it's a great fit for me. And I work for the greatest institution known to man that also allows me to have off two weeks at Christmas. The perks are good. And I am slowly learning how not to cry from the drop off at daycare to my office at work.
But there are a few things about my new role that I can't seem to figure out.
Let me explain.
I like to run. I enjoy it. It is my me time. Before our abrupt move to our new town, I was in the middle of training for a half-marathon. When we moved here and our lives were turned upside down, that training fell to the way-side.
When I was a stay at home mom, I found making time to run simple. I had a running partner that would meet me at 5:30 to run a few mornings a week. I would get back home in time for Trey to leave for work at 6:45 and then Jones would wake up at 7:00. I would have time to jump in the shower before Jones woke up. But I didn't have to worry about getting fully dressed for a job and having both me and Jones looking somewhat presentable, fed, happy and out the door by 7:30 for work and school. That schedule just wouldn't work now. Especially since Trey leaves for work even earlier now. There are not enough hours in the morning.
Let me stop you before you mention the unmentionable. Do not tell me to wake up before 5 to run every morning. It just won't happen. Not with me running alone. I won't do it. And there is no need for me saying I will do this, only to not then in return feel like a failure.
My other simple option of running while I was a SAHM was to put Jones in a jogging stroller after breakfast and go. Jones loved it. It was nice. This is, for obvious reasons, not an option now. At least not during the weekdays.
I would run my long-runs on the weekends.
And finally, my last running time was when Trey got home for work. I had been with my little man all day and I felt no guilt taking an hour or so to myself and running alone. This is the one I am struggling with now. By the time I get home from work, it is 5:30. I have seen my child for a total of about 45 minutes all day. I refuse to leave him again to go run. It is just not that important to me. I miss my child all. day. long and being without him for one more minute is just not going to happen.
So this leaves me with my last option - running after he goes to bed. He usually is asleep by 7:30, so this seems like the most realistic option.
By the time he is asleep, I am changed and ready to go, it is 8:00. This does not take in consideration anything I need to do around the house, dishes that need to be put away after dinner (if, in fact, I cooked dinner. Let's not be mislead, this does not always happen) clothes folded, etc. And what about my time with my husband? I have seen him even less than my child during the day. At least I get to take my child to and from school. Car time = quality time these days.
So sometimes I run and sometimes I want to cry and sink into the couch with Trey and watch Friday Night Lights on DVD. (Clear eyes. Full hearts.)
And then the cycle repeats itself - saying I am going to run at 8 or 8:30, not running, going to bed, feel like a failure.
I am running this half in April (I was thisclose last year before chaos ensued) so I need suggestions. How do I juggle it all? Maybe it will get easier when he is older and stays up later? Maybe I should do the unimaginable and wake up at 4 to run? (please oh please don't be the answer) Maybe it will get easier when it doesn't get dark at 5:30?
I know working moms run. A lot. So how? When? I see moms with multiple kids and high-stress jobs doing a lot more than me. I am not sure about this working mom thing, but I am doing what I have to do so I am determined to make it work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I'm no mom, but my co-worker has 4 kids and is up at 4:30am EVERY day! Bum answer huh? -Evelyn
What about your lunch hour? Can you not sneak away for an hour to run for a solid 35-45 minutes and then shower? That campus is the most beautiful place to run- KDC
Maybe go right before jones goes down...like 7:15? Let Trey do bedtime and you then would only miss very few minutes with jones and you'd be home by 8/8:15 to spend time with Trey and chores... Maybe even alternate days of doing that so you don't miss bedtime every night. Maybe 4:30am the other days? :-/
oooh, what half? i'm running the big d in dallas april 15. i am not a runner.
definitely a treadmill &/or running during lunch is my advice :) it is tough... I feel your pain.
Hi Heather! I am not a runner but I am trying to get back in shape. I know you work on campus. I leave work at 4:15 and go work out and then pick up Eli at 5:15 or so. I usually bring my lunch to work and stay on campus through the lunch hour so I have arranged to leave at 4. Not sure if that could work for you but it is how I squeeze it in because I cannot wake up any earlier and like you, I am exhausted and have too much to do after he goes to bed at night. Good Luck!
Post a Comment