November 6, 2009

baby update / advice please!


Had my 16 week apt. today. All is perfect! Thank God for a healthy baby!
The baby's heart beat was strong; I still am taken back every time we get to hear that. It's amazing. I am still feeling great. Even my extreme tiredness is fading! I still go to bed earlier than normal, but it's so much better than pure exhaustion during the day. I even did a P90X workout yesterday as opposed to a slow walk/jog or tennis. Granted, I am having trouble walking today because of it, but the point is I had the energy to do it!

We tried to talk the dr. into doing an ultrasound to find out the sex. He said no. Isn't the customer always suppose to be right? Doesn't this apply to patient/dr. relationships too? Maybe not. We had a 12 week ultrasound and he wants to do a 20 week one, so it looks like we will be waiting a little longer before buying blue or pink. Unless I can get up to Jackson to have my sister take a peek. Hmm... We'll see!

The decision I can't seem to decide on is if I want to have the H1N1 shot or not. I can't decide. My dr. recommended that I do, but I am being a little chicken about it. I had the seasonal flu shot, but the H1N1 shot seems so new and unstudied. I am sure it has been well researched, but I am worried how it will affect my growing wee one. Thoughts?
TGIF everyone!

18 comments:

Wade's World said...

My sister is pregnant and her OB gave her the shot. I don't know if that helps you or not.

Unknown said...

1000 times YES get the swine flu shot and Trey too. He qualifies b/c he's in the household with an infant (soon to be). They are free and just look up online with Mississippi Health Departments where to go. We all got one on Wed. Seems like a no brainer now. It's a dead strand of the virus and therefore not harmful. DO NOT get the nasal mist...it's a live strand of it and can be very dangerous. Many doctors are saying we haven't seen anything yet with how bad it's going to get over the winter/ spring. Doctors say it's as safe as seasonal flu shot so I trusted them and the reading I did and went for it. Glad I did.

Just my two cents. Check out cdc.gov

glad everything is going well.
we still need to get together!!!!
ejw

kinsey said...

well, i'm not pregnant anymore, but my ob was suggesting it to all her patients. i got it, to help keep hank free of it since he can't get the shot. sorry i'm not more help!

kinsey said...

i'm freaking out because the post above me showed up when i posted mine...i got the mist!!! ahhhh!!!

Jan Johnson said...

Definitely get it. Better safe than sorry!

LT (and Max) said...

talk to emily stringer...

Sara said...

I got it and so did Brad since we will have an infant under 6 months of age. No side effects or anything. Good thing is that your baby will have all of the immunities that you have for at least the first 3 months of his/her life, so thats another reason I got it, I didn't want to have to worry about an infant with the flu.

brad, amanda, and brody said...

This is JUST my opinion...I'll probably be the only person who says don't get it- but I wouldn't. I read a big article on it from Dr. Mercola (goog dr. mercola h1n1). He interviewed a neurologist who is very knowledgeable about the subject. Basically the statistics show the seasonal flu puts more women in the hospital than this swine flu does. Don't let anyone scare you into getting it. here are 2 quotes from the article-

"the risk of a pregnant women being hospitalized with the H1N1 infection is 0.32 per 100,000 pregnant women (which is 1 in 300,000 pregnant women)"

"This mass vaccination program for H1N1 variant virus will be the largest experiment on pregnant women in history and could end as a monumental disaster"

Unknown said...

Amanda - that is my fear! I know! I am so worried that we are the trial period. I know I will kick myself if I get sick or the baby gets sick because I don't get it, but I know I will kick myself if I get it and there ends up being harm to the baby in a decade or something! I don't know - I am weighing the pros and cons and risks. I am not too worried about me getting sick, I mean, let's be honest, I work at home. My contact with people is limited. BUT what if the baby gets sick?
Ahh....I don't know. Thanks for everyone's input, though! I see both sides for sure.

Kelli said...

Talk to Jennifer Cougle. She's a pharmacist, and I know she was recommending to the pregnant mom's in our Sunday School class. She had some good points.

The Segrest Family said...

hey girl,
so glad that the visit went well! i know you are so ready to find out what the gender is!!!
as for the shot... i think it is a decision that you and trey need to make with your doctor's input. that is my rule of thumb with being a parent too - i can get everyone's opinion, but when it boils down to it, me and chad will consult with our pediatrician! saves alot of stress!
i will say this, the boys and i all three had the swine flu - and im no wimp - but it kicked my but for a full week! took two weeks for me to feel back to normal. the boys were only bad for about 3 days. im not in any way saying you should get the shot - just saying that it sucked =) but we are all better now!!!
good luck!
mk

The Stringers said...

2:01:34 PM does not know what she is talking about. Do NOT talk to emily stringer. She is a paranoid mess of a panic attack about having this dang shot or not. I'm seeing dr. pearson on monday and we will see what he says.
I haven't posted about it bc to be honest, like MK said I really don't want EVERYONES opinion! Reed and I have to trust our doctor and trust our decision.
Since you asked... I am so afraid that we are going to be watching fox news in 10 years and they are going to say, "breaking news! We have finally discover what is wrong with thousands of 10 year olds born in 2010... Their mamas all took that crazy flu shot when they were pregnant!" I don't feel comfortable being the experiment!

PS: your sister, the doctor, told me to get it!

The Stringers said...

I typed lt and it turned into a time!

LT (and Max) said...

so, basically, after reading emily's comment, your sister "LT" doesn't know what she's talking about, but you should listen to your OTHER sister kristen, the doctor! thanks em. ;)

Owen and Erin said...

Hey Heather,
I was also worried about the H1N1 shot...but my friend (whose husband will be Andrew's pediatrician) explained it best. you never get the same seasonal flu shot twice. If the H1N1 strand was available at the time seasonal flu shots were available then it would have been the seasonal flu shot. So basically each year they tweak the seasonal flu shot...this year they had to release two versions to make sure they covered all angles of the vaccine. Hope that helps...it definitely helped me. I plan to get it Wed at my next appt.

Jack, Emily, SB & Annie said...

please don't do it.

Unknown said...

All of our drs are recommending it. I got it and was fine...the "regular" flu shot made me sick for 24 hours! Kate hasn't had either b/c our peds office is out of them! I will say that our pregnant mom's that come in with it are NOT doing well. As in, may not ever wake up. Like Owen and Heather said, it is like a condo. Every year you may go to the same beach, but the condo is a little different. Every year the CDC releases a flu vaccine that is thought to cover the flu strain for that year. It is never the same year to year. Everyone is freakin because it has H1N1 attached to it. Also, all of the studies that have come back from Australia (their winter jsut ended) showed that 80% of people that got the flu got the swine flu.

That's my two cents!

AnnaLittle said...

I didn't read everyone's advice, and I may be too late to weigh in on this... but I wouldn't get it. Personally. But that's just me.