December 13, 2007

sassy nana has a birthday

Today is my NANA's birthday. She is 81. She would be upset if she knew I told my tens of readers her real age, but since I am fairly certain she will not be hitting up any cyber cafes today, I think I am safe. Let me tell you something about Nana. First of all, she doesn't look a day over about 65 and doesn't act a day over 25. She is fun and spunky. Need a shopping partner? Call Nana. Want to go out for a glass of wine? Call Nana. Need a prayer? Call Nana. Need boyfriend/husband advice? Call Nana. What other grandmother do you know asks to see your presents after a lingerie shower? My nana did. She was so funny ...laying out each piece for each night of my honeymoon. Weird? Not all at. She is hysterical.

Tuesday night my family (sans me, Trey, Kristen, Rob and Henry) went to Harvey's for a pre - birthday celebration. I called her yesterday afternoon to see how the festivities were going. Her response? "Oh I went to two parties on tuesday and two today! Party, party!" How funny.

I sometimes talk about my Dada who passed away last November from Alzhymers. Well, before he became sick, Nana and Dada were involved in EVERY club and organization possible. Dance club. Couples Bridge. Supper Club. Birthday Club. this doesn't count the church activites they were ALWAYS involved in. They were both super involved in a Sunday school class until my Dada came to the conclusion that they were surrounded by "older people". Granted he was the oldest by AT LEAST 15 years (he died at age 89). Basically, some of the members were not able to be as active as they once were, and while they still loved them, they switched to a younger, more lively crowd. I love it. During his sickness, my Nana became 'homebound' as well, forcing her clubs and activities to the waistside. It has taken Nana close to a year since his death to fully want to be involved in those things again, but now she is not slowing down. Literally, something to do everyday.

Nana is such a sweet, Godly woman with the kindest heart. She always wants her family to be together and be happy. One example: when Kristen was in med school, she made the comment to Nana that she wanted a massage. Nana thought this to be a strange request, but not wanting to disappoint her eldest grandchild, she went out a purchased a flower "corsage"! Yeah, like the 8th grade dance thing! She missunderstood "massage" for "corsage". So Kristen proudly wore her corsage.

I hope I am like her when I am 81 - she is healthy, lively, sweet, funny, and young at heart. She is truly a JOY to be around. I miss being right down the road from her!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NANA!
May you have 20 more happy birthdays to celebrate.

I love you so very much!!


11 comments:

Jack, Emily, SB & Annie said...

happy birthday nana. i could also use a nice corsage.

LT (and Max) said...

precious. we have such a cute grandmother.
thanks for stealing the pic off my blog.
LYLAS

The Manning Family said...

Happy Birthday Nana! How sweet of her to buy your sister a corsage. What a wonderful thing to do. Grandmothers are the best aren't they? I am missing mine really bad these days; I feel kinda empty without her. Give your Nana big hugs EVERYTIME you see her; I'm sure you do anyway, but if I could have one more hug from mine, I'd be oh so happy! :)

Anisa said...

your nana sounds AMAZING! you clearly come from a long line of exceptional women.

LWolfe said...

Sweet post! Nana is a spunk-meister! Hope I'm moving and grooving at 81. Give her a happy birthday hug for me.

mary straton said...

you know I love me some Nana. On my wedding gift, she signed her name "Nana Tomlinson."

The Texas VicHorns said...

I love Nana too! You did an excellent job paying tribute to her, and you are blessed to have her!!!

The Stringers said...

Me too, MSKS..."Love, Nana Tomlinson" on my wedding gift!!!..

I just love her. My favorite thing about Nana is that she paints her glasses with nail polish to match her outfit!!! I LOVE IT!!!

The Benjamins said...

Happy Birthday to Nana! I love the story about the massage/corsage! Priceless!

Anonymous said...

I love her! She had a CD player in her car before most people did!
LJLL

Tracy~ said...

Everyone needs a Nana like her! Happy Birthday Nana!