September 26, 2007

What Not To Wear

"Every year, when spring comes, my mind goes to one place and one place only, Ninjas." - Dwight K. Schrute

Just as ninjas enter the mind of Dwight at the dawn of a new season, so do clothes enters mine.

It is officially fall, ladies and gentlemen, and that can only mean one thing: a wardrobe change. Time to throw your white eyelet blouses and seersucker pants aside. The time has come for fall colors and cozy sweaters.

Being from Mississippi, I have always found it a challenge to dress appropriately for both fashion and logic. It may be 90 degrees in November. So while a wool coat by Milly in a precious mustard color might look great in theory, the heat might be telling me otherwise; thus resulting in a flip-flop/shorts fashion disaster. That is just one of the troubles I encounter during the fall fashion transformation.

I am convinced that if you are wealthy, there is no excuse for not being cute at all times. Superficial? Maybe. But we live in a material world, and I am a material girl. (only kidding)

After cleaning out my closet this past weekend, I noticed that I have an insanely amount of ugly clothes. Please, someone, nominate me for What Not To Wear. I really could use that shopping spree. In the meantime, however, I have been trying my best to look fashionable while staying on a budget.

So while doing a little research, I found the following places in which I will be able to add pieces to my fall wardrobe. Please, fashion divas, if you know of a fashion steal, enlighten me. We all have the right to be fabulous for less.



1) Vera Wang has a new colection exclusive for Kohl's. The Kohl's in Hattiesburg opens next month. If you are interested in accompanying me, let me know.

2) Todd Oldham Joins Old Navy. Don't take my word for this one, readers. I do appreciate Todd Oldham's clean and laid back look, but frankly, Old Navy has been less than appealing to me lately. Perhaps Todd can spruce it up a bit. He is now the creative director for this sales dropping chain. Good luck, Todd.

3) Sarah Jessica Parker's relatively new line: Bitten. Anything with SJP's name on it, I am willing to give it a shot. I have not tried anything from her line; trying to remember: would I buy it if it wasn't from her? But, anyway, I am not throwing it out the window before giving her a fair chance.

4) Ann Taylor Loft. classy clothes at a resonable price. Less expensive than Ann Taylor with the same great quality. Great work clothes.

5) Franchesca's. This store has adorable pieces for a tiny price! I bought a dress from here for $39.00 that I wore to my bridal luncheon back in June of '06. I wore it this past summer too...still looks new.

6) Target. Lest we forget about this budget shopper's dream. Everything you need under one roof. And with designers including, but not limited to, Alice Temperley and Issac Mizarahi joining the Target team, you can not go wrong. Cute clothes for a teeny price. Plus, while you are there you can pick up a vacuum cleaner, bag of potatoes, and a pack of diapers. Convenient shopping at it's best.

Those are a few of my bargain stores. Please, readers, as I mentioned before, enlighten me on your steals: fall is here and I am in need of a good chunky knit.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shoes??? What about the shoes???? And your comment about What Not to Wear?? Are you kidding me!?!?! You would never make it on the show being the fashion diva that you are HA! Great tips though.
TM

Jack, Emily, SB & Annie said...

i don't know how cold it is in the burg, but the time has not yet come for cozy sweaters in starkville. however, i am looking forward to cooler weather with great anticipation. i can hide my postpartum belly in cute sweaters and overcoats!

LT (and Max) said...

let's go shopping and pretend we're rich!!

Little Daddy said...

I really don't need to get into this discussion (you won't see another male comment here), but I have an opinion on just about everything.

Sometime in my past I heard that women should not wear white shoes after Labor Day. Paris is kind of the fashion capital of the world --I don't believe France has a Labor Day -- so where does this put those females?

Also, I saw some outfits at State Saturday which left me a little cold -- short dresses and cowboy boots -- who thought that up? Then I saw some dresses that looked to be the shape of oval balloons, and what about those women and girls who were wearing short dresses, tights and high heels? Wow!

I do catch "What Not To Wear" fairly often -- Stacy and Clinton do some amazing things with those girls who don't have a clue as to what looks good on them. Good show, but I'll stick with Stacy -- you can have Clinton.

Unknown said...

Little Daddy is one of the funniest people I have ever met.


They have some great chunky knits at Eddie Bauer. I perused through there last night, looked around, felt like a grandma, and ran out. I cant help it if I love their clothes, though.

LWolfe said...

Boo, I love you, and yes my father is hilarious. I get my good humor from him and my cleanliness from my mother. He is, however, not a fashion plate. Sorry, dad...sometimes it's hit or miss with you. Heather...I feel for your fashion dilemma. Does it even get below 60 in the Hub Citay?

Little Daddy said...

Wallie,

Does that imply that I am dirty? Maybe I'm not as clean as your Mom.

What's wrong with brown shoes and white socks -- that works either before or after Labor Day.

The Texas VicHorns said...

Heath,

Love you for this post. Thanks for heads up on the SJP line, SO cute and SO cheap.

If I were rich, I'd look fabulous all the time. You are so right. There's no excuse.

Peace out,
Quaker

JordanandSaundersRamsey said...

You crack me up!!!! You can find really cute sweaters, etc. on the Victoria's secret website for great prices. Just a thought. I wish I were rich...I'd look cute all the time. I think we're both in the wrong profession for that though. I'll buy us a powerball ticket....maybe we'll win that! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Heather - I found a great website that's been interesting to read...and you can subscribe to a newsletter especially for your body type for $9.99 / 3 months...www.missussmartypants.com