September 14, 2007

Christmas in the south

It is only September, yet I find myself thinking about Christmas. I love Christmas - family time, the lights, the meaning, the music, the traditions, decorations. A few things in particular: namely, Christmas cards, Christmas china, and buying a new Christmas wreath. I bought a book last weekend in "land-o-hell" (see previous post) that talked about the strange ways we southerners like to go to extremes when it comes to Christmas. "When you can't deep fry it, spray paint it gold". Interesting concept, no doubt.

Anyway, I have already begun the process of mentally preparing for my Christmas to-do lists. "But Heather, don't stress. 'Tis the season!" - you may be saying to yourself. No fret, readers: This does not stress me out. I long for the day when I can throw magnificent dinner parties for any and all occasions. I shall use matching serving pieces and only the best napkin rings. In the present, however, I shall focus my attention on things at hand: our Christmas card picture.

It is an unspoken rule, I suppose, that one should wait until they have children to send out such Christmas faux-pas'. I laugh at such a rule. What are the three of us going to wear? (You didn't think I would leave Sophie out, did you?) One faux-pas that I promise to avoid is the whole "What have the Skaggs' been doing this year?" letter/card combo. No offense, please, to those readers (which I can only hope is world-wide by now) who do these things. But for me, personally, I would rather post my life's happenings for all the world to see than type it out on Christmas-sy stationary highlighting our accomplishments and goals.

With that said, I do love a good Christmas photo-card. Props to The Butts, who sent out Christmas cards with a picture of them holding up Christmas messages. Job well done, Trish.Can't wait to see what Christmas 2K7 brings.

As I mention my thoughts of possible Christmas photo locations to my husband, his eyes began to light up.

"No need to plan to take a picture: I already have one I want to use." - says he.

At this point he walks over to the desk and pulls out the following picture:
Ladies and gentlemen, this is the picture my dear husband would like to use for our Christmas card. Trey often says that God put the two of us together because He has a sense of humor. I hate all things gun and camo. Bring me the diamonds and pearls.

I have been in camo twice in my lifetime - once for a sawp in college and once on a hunting trip with the husband, thus resulting in this infamous photo. I suppose I could have smiled, but orange is really not my color: didn't see too much to smile about. I do love Trey's big fat grin in this picture.

I really wanted Sophie in the christmas card. Maybe I can photoshop her in on Trey's left shoulder, perched as though about to pounce. I don't know. Your opinion is valued.

18 comments:

The Texas VicHorns said...

That is the best photo I have ever seen. I am going to try to recreate it for our Christmas photo.

I vote for photoshopping Sophie in the tree branch behind the lovely couple.

I also love Christmas. so much so that Claire and I were going to decorate the LJ's tree (in the courtyard) with tinsel in mid-july.

Katie Walden said...

Your expression in this photo is preiceless. It screams "Merry Christmas!"

Amy said...

You make me laugh out loud.

LT (and Max) said...

this is truly a sight i never thought i would see.

i want a copy.

Tracy~ said...

I seriously thought you photoshopped your pictures in. That they aren't photoshopped leaves me almost speechless. Wow.
Tracy~

The Manning Family said...

Heather,
Thank you so much for this post! I needed a hearty chuckle today! That picture is a hoot, and what a LOVELY Christmas card it will make! ;)

Jack, Emily, SB & Annie said...

you have inspired me to blog about our christmas picture from last year. as soon as i have time.

Little Daddy said...

What a great holiday picture, and you look so, so happy. Maybe you are right -- orange may not be your color -- I'm not sure about camo 'cause it is kinda green for Christmas.

When you photoshop in Sophie, try and add Rudolph in the far background and in a nice green script at the bottom of the pix -- "And a very Merry Christmas to you, too. Hope you are enjoying the season as much as we are."

Little Daddy said...

I just remembered something about Christmas and camouflage that I must share.

Years ago when I was in elementary school Santa would show up on the Friday that we got out for the holidays to distribute candy and say Ho Ho a couple of times.

Mind you in those days in Montpelier, Mississippi, there were not a lot of Santa outfits stashed away in closets.

So on this Christmas a man by the name of Ray Cliett was Santa and he wore a Santa top with camo pants. That image burned into my little mind, and I have been a little suspect of the jolly old elf ever since.

May I be the first to wish you, A Merry Christmas.

Hillary Jordan said...

I love it, I definitely thinks it's a keeper! The card could read: "Hurry, Santa, Hurry! The Skaggs are out of shells." Let me know if you need anymore of my help...
Hillary

LT (and Max) said...

good call hillary...that's perfect.

Christi said...

'Tis the Season! (hunting season, that is)

The Robertsons said...

That would definitely make the perfect Christmas card. Be sure to put some antlers on Sophie!

The Benjamins said...

I can't wait to get mine in the mail! It is going to stay out all year long!

Regina said...

Hilarious! Perfect Southern Christmas card! :)

Anonymous said...

"How to keep reindeer from landing on your roof"

D.Cooper said...

Hey Heather!

I too like to get ready for Christmas early! I have Elizabeth's (and Jon's now) room covered with gifts to wrap already. I have actually finshed shopping! Caught great sales in Bham when we were at the Wynfrey and mall after taking Elizabeth and Jon to the airport in late August. Hope to see you all around town during the holidays...I miss all "my" girls!
Love,
Debbie

LT (and Max) said...

it's time for a new blog post. thanks.