August 6, 2013

new-old fans

I haven't talked much about our new house on here other than we bought one and I saw a mouse in it.  I am slowly getting over my fear of walking into a room alone in fear of rodents and learning to love our home again.

A little backstory - we bought the house from a church member who passed away last fall.  He custom built this home in the 60's for his family of 5 and lived in it for the rest of his life.  We love it.  Walk-in closets in every room! Large walk-in closets! It may have been the 60's, but he had three daughters. He knew what was up. 

So while the man loved good storage space (God bless him) he also loved ceiling fans.  The only thing I can guess is that he came across a fan he liked, got a good price, and bought 25 of the exact same model.  For real.  The only rooms that do not have this ceiling fan are the foyer, living room and dinning room.  But no fear - there are two in the den and two in the kitchen to make up for the lack of fans in those rooms. The kitchen! Total unnecessary use of ugly brass ceiling fans.

Before
At any rate, they are everywhere.  And they are ugly. We knew, according to my husband's color-coded Excel budget worksheet,  that we couldn't immediately replace all of the ceiling fans with beautiful  new light fixtures. So one day, without my knowledge (or approval), Trey took down the fans, spray painted them and removed the ugly lights.  He called me in the middle of his little project to say that he was spray painting the fans.  I had my doubts and told him as such.  But he persevered, as he always does. Oh fearless frugal one.

When he couldn't find a replacement light cap (technical term) that fit the old ceiling fans, he called the number on the bottom of the light and told the company of his predicament.  They sent him the replacement parts - for free! Trey is convinced they were super nice business-men.  I am convinced that we are the only suckers that still have these old fans and took the time to call the 1-800 number printed from the 60's.

Whatever.  For $10 worth of spray paint, it looks like we have new ceiling fans.  Well done, frugal husband, well done.  For a quick fix, it works.

After
Except for the kitchen.  I am not putting up two fans in a kitchen  It's not even a large kitchen! I just don't understand. 

In other news, this is how Anna Joy sleeps.  I am obsessed.  I could watch her sleep all day. 


Also, she will be 7 months on Thursday.  She still is not sitting up on her own, which is fine by me. I just hold her all day. However, I was able to quickly snap this picture on my phone of her sitting up after church on Sunday. A few seconds after the picture she toppled over.  Have you seen her belly? Gravity, people.

She looks so old here.  Sweetest baby. Smiles literally all the time.  My heart just might explode.



No comments: