August 5, 2013

First day of school



Jones started PreK today. 

He has been going to "school" now since he was 19 months old, but this seems like school-school, if you know what I mean.  He had legitimate school supplies to buy, not just baby wipes and Lysol.  He had to buy dry erase markers to use on his individual board so that he can practice his writing.
Writing! Like a college student or something.

It hit me that this was the first day of the rest of his (school) life.


Yes, I am that dramatic. Now excuse me while I go hide in the closet and cry myself ugly.


If you can imagine, I am not taking this whole PreK thing lightly.

I stay somewhat connected to the lives of the 7th-12th graders, and because of it, I know just a small portion of the challenges these kids face.

Growing up I didn't have to deal with Facebook. Or instagram. Or SnapChat (WHAT? This thing has trouble written all over it). If my friend or boyfriend wanted to talk to me, they called my house on my parent's landline and asked my daddy if I could come to the phone.  No text messages here at all hours of the night.  These kids have their entire lives - the good and the bad - plastered for all to see.  The amount of insecurities and competitions that come the pressures of social media is crazy. 


The stuff these teenagers today deal with is legit. It seems that there are far more temptations at their disposal than I ever experienced. Yes, I grew up in a bubble. But if I had it my way I would find that bubble and put my kids back in it and stay there until Jesus came.

Just today I heard of a sweet child struggling to fit in. Couldn't find his place in the scary world of middle school. How much do I want to just tell that kid that it is OK! There are far greater things in store for you! You are greater than your 6th grade social life! 

But to that kid, at this time, the struggles are real. So real.  And I hurt for him. I want to shake the mean kids by their shoulders and say "Be nice or go to time-out!". Then I want everyone to hold hands, sing a joyful song, and live happily ever after.

Because that's how we roll in my bubble.



Kids can be mean and the world is big and scary.  And I am not ready to send my kids out in it.

It's just Pre-K3, but I can't help but feel a little sad.  This got here way faster than I planned.  Wasn't he just born yesterday? And already he is wearing underwear and learning to write on dry erase boards at school?  I just can't even deal.

Thankfully, Anna Joy and I have come to an agreement that she is never to grow up.  I have seen the length of the shorts girls wear today.  I know what little amount of fabric goes in to making their skirts. She has agreed to wear smocked bubbles for life.  Good girl, Anna Joy, good girl.

4 comments:

kinsey said...

Agree on all accounts! ;). Your kids are too cute!

The Benjamins said...

Great post...I've talked about this same thing recently! I cannot wait to see sweet Anna Joy as Baker's girlfriend in college still wearing smocked outfits!!!

Wade's World said...

Love this post. I teach 5th and 6th grade girls at church, and man, these girls face stuff I had no clue of. And have you noticed that girls don't have an awkward phase anymore? They go straight from little girls to full makeup and getting their eyebrows waxed. I have 5th grades come to my class with more makeup on their face(applied perfectly) than I did as a 30 something year old woman. It's sad that with social media it seems like bullying has taken a whole new ugly side, and I'm in no hurry for Jackson to grow up and be part of it. I have a soft spot in my heart for the outcasts, and want them to know their value far beyond middle school and high school.

ABL said...

My girl started PreK 3 today also. And I did go home and cry myself ugly. When did they get so big?