The "nice" lady, full of opinions and advice, was standing in line behind me at the checkout. The conversation started out simple enough. She asked me if I thought the strawberries I was buying were going to be good, for she was thinking about going to get some. First thought: would I buy them if I thought they were going to be bad? But, I simply smiled and said "I hope so".
It's time now to tell you that the said lady was holding an itty-bitty baby girl. This is when the conversation took a turn for the worse. I will put it in dialogue form for easier reading:
Sweet Heather (SH, from now on): "She is beautiful! How old is she?"
Lady with the baby (LB, from now on): She told me her age, which I forgot. Few weeks old. Could have fooled me - the babe looked like she came straight to the store after leaving the birthing place.
Then she added...
"Thanks. You have chilren?" (no "d")
SH: "No I don't." I should have stopped there, but felt compelled for some strange reason to add: "But I am expecting my first"
LB: "Really? I wouldn't have guessed!" (score one for Heather)
SH: "well, I am still early" (thinking the conversation has now ended)
LB: (SHE should have stopped there, but continued to look me up and down, awkwardly examining my entire body then added....) "OH!!! I See it now. uh-huh, girl. I see it. It's a boy. Your hips and thighs are really showing. You are putting it all on at your hips and thighs. It's a boy fo' sho'"
REALLY??!! My hips and thighs? Tell me my stomach is bigger - I know this. That is where the baby is living. My thighs? My hips? Nice, lady. She might as well have called me a fatty.
12 comments:
you are fat, heather. always have been. this is something i've always wanted to tell you.
You're so skinny! People are just rude!
Prepare yourself. People think they can tell pregnant women anything! "How many babies are in there?" "Oh grrrl... Your nose is spreddin' out!" Yep... Seriously. Don't take it personally!
Oh my gosh - the EXACT same thing happened to me! So weird... she used exactly the same words. She told me I was for sure having a boy because my hips and thighs had really gotten wider. I cried about it for a long time. Then, eventually you get over it! I've seen you once at Mint and I'm willing to guess you still look fabulous!
Just wait until complete strangers (or even acquaintances for that matter) feel the need and right to rub your belly. Awkward.
HEHE!!! I can picture this going down!!! too funny! :)
You won the breast cancer giveaway!!! Yay for you! email me your address (my email is on my blog)and I'll send the happies right away :)
Congrats Heather!!! Just get ready for the most random people to tell you the most random things. I don't know why some feel compelled to say the things they do. And just wait until he/she gets here...then those same randoms will want to touch him/her!! Hope you are feeling well.
yes...hate to say it gets worse. You cant go ANYWHERE for the next eight months without a stranger commenting on your pregnancy. Wait til you have weird men asking if you have indigestion!?
Oh I'm so sorry Heather! But everyone is right. . . grow some thick skin because people are just straight up R U D E! Just wait until your 9th month and your belly/hips/thighs are getting a bit larger & they have they will tell you to your face how big you are! Ugh! Some just haven't learned that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Don't fret. . . you'll probably be the cutest pregnant girl ever with a sweet little baby bump belly! And also, the above "gaskin" is right. . . those gross strangers will want to caress your sweet baby's hands & face when you're in public places. Yuck! I almost passed out the first time this happened. I mean, can't they just touch the shoe or something? Not the fingers which will go directly in thier mouth!
hips and thighs fo sho! That's hilarious. At least she didn't grab your belly and yell at it. I have a family member who liked to yell at SB while she was still in utero.
I wished I would have been a fly on the wall to see your face during this convo.
Post a Comment