Well, as fate would have it, we are much better designers than we are softball players.
We arrived at the field thirty minutes prior to game time, as directed by our "coach". trey and I immediately notice this was no joke and the people on the field were no laughing matter. And I am pretty sure I am the only girl who put on lip gloss before walking into the park.
We are told we are playing "the hustlers", playing their first game of a double header series on field 3. So we go watch a few minutes of their game to size up our competition.
Perhaps a visual is better:
Our team:
Their team:
Trey and I thought briefly about faking an emergency and going home before the game even started. Instead, I decided to give it a shot and just pray the ball does not come my way.
We batted first. And scored 3 points! I am not sure why I thought being a diamond girl at Mississippi State would help my batting skills, but I honestly thought I would do ok, at least getting an RBI. False. I hit a fly ball that was easily caught, causing the third out. So be it. We were off to play some defense.
For whatever reason, I was designated the 2nd base(wo)man. I would have served the team far better as the bat girl, but none-the-less I had a job to do. I went to my spot and prayed the ball would not come near me. But it did.
As it turns, The Hustlers were quite the batters. They score 23 points.
Not in the game. IN THE INNING.
True story.
When we were down by eight, I turned to the ump next to me and asked about the ten run rule. As luck would have it, there is no such rule in this league.
We play by time only: 7 innings or 55 minutes.
Obviously 55 minutes came far before 7 innings. We only played 3 innings before time was up.
I am not sure what the final score was, but I am fairly certain they never slacked up on us. We did score 2 more points in the final inning (again, not contributed by yours truly).
So that's it. We lost. Here's hoping Tuesday's game is not a repeat.
8 comments:
This post made me laugh so hard for so many reasons!
keep your head up heather. you ARE a winner.
hahahahahaha
Your picture comparison made me LOL!!
Did the dust get stuck to your lip gloss?
I hate it when that happens.
I played softball once in middle school because it was a part of the PE curriculum. After I threw the glove off and caught the ball with my BARE hand....they said I could stop playing. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that I was doubled over and screaming about my hand. My hats off to you for playing!
I love everything about this story.
I just laughed out loud.
There are so many things wrong with this situation that I can't even begin!!! I am laughing so hard thinking about you being at second. Please let me know when the next game is so that I can come witness this monumental occasion. I will give you some tips, starting with the fact that you score runs in softball and not points!
Post a Comment