October 4, 2007

"What you want is superficial, what I want makes a difference."

The above statement was said to me by my dear husband last night.

I shall set the scene:

Trey and I were eating mexican (surprise, surprise) talking about things we need/want. (i.e.- i am in need of make up and work clothes, he is in need of bow ties and camo. bow ties and camo - oxymoron? perhaps.). It was really more of a 'want' than a 'need', as we have everything we need.

Anyway, distracted from the story. We said adios to the restaurant after we had our weekly fill of burritos and chips and headed down Hardy Street in anticipation of attending the Southern Miss vs Rice game. We did not make it.

Trey spoted the large sign of a brand new store in Hattiesburg: "Gander Mountain" and immediately wheeled into the parking lot, nearly hitting an innocent bystander. I walked through the glass automatic doors, amoungst the other eager hunters, to enter what I am quiet certain is some sick version of hell. Once inside the store I barely missed hitting my head on what appeared to be some sort of in-the-tree -while-hunting-climbing exposition. Huh. Well, this should be fun.

Trey's eyes light up: I knew he was having fun. So I decided to keep my personal opinions to myself and be a good supportive wife; no need to make it apparent then. Afterall, I knew I would share my hearty opinions with my readership the following day.

We grazed the gun racks for a while and walked past the 10 year old girl practicing her shot and an entire family of 5 dressed in camo. We lingered for a bit around the television set, which was playing none other than the hunting channel. Who knew there was such a thing? But alas, we do not get cable, so I digress.

In the back of the store, behind the bow and arrows and amoungst the camo gear, was a room named "the lodge". The entrance looked like a log cabin... bear and deer heads on the wall... I know you all have a mental picture. Anyway, inside I was stupidly expecting to see more guns, camping gear, and camo pants. No, readers. What I saw was camoflauge FURNITURE. Like a bed, chairs, recliners, etc...

(side note: Please, readers, if you or anyone you know owns such a piece of furniture, do not take my opinion to heart. No offense, please. Besides, who am I to give advice on fashion and decor: I wore a two-piece prom dress.)

Trey must have looked at my stunned face when I saw the room full of suede and feux-leather camo, for he began to laugh and informed me most people just have these at their deer camp, not in their real homes. I don't care. It was more than I could handle. Trey played along with me, thus resulting in the following pictures: As we left the hunter's haven with the grand purchase of a bag of treats for Sophie, Trey informed me that he could have easliy dropped $5,000 without blinking an eye. It was then that he told me, and I quote, "What you want is superficial, what I want makes a difference."
I love that man.
In other news: I met Ms. Loucille yesterday afternoon. In case you missed that post, she is an alzheimers patient I visit. She lives at home with her daughter and son-in-law. She is absolutely precious. I love her. We held hands. I stayed for almost 2 hours. I am going back at the end of the week. I have a new friend.

12 comments:

LT (and Max) said...

i now know what i'm getting you for christmas. that furniture is hot.

Tracy~ said...

Wow. When you think you've seen it all... then comes camo furniture.

Yay for your new friend. I can't wait to hear all about it.

Little Daddy said...

You must have been sick to your stomach looking at all of that camo stuff. That furniture must be a designer's nightmare. When I was in the furniture business, designers would turn up their collective noses at a plain recliner -- they would have an absolute stroke if they had to decorate around a camo recliner.

Can you imagine a living room with camo sofa, camo chairs, camo curtains, coffee and endtables made of rustic logs, lamps out of deer antlers, don't forget spit buckets for the snuff dippers and tobacco chewers, a big old gun cabinet and camo carpet -- talk about nice? Now that would be a little piece of hell -- a room I would never want to venture into.

You've got your work cut out for you with Trey -- good luck.

Wade's World said...

I've been thinking about redecorating and I think I have finally found what I am looking for. To think..I could finally hide out in my own living room :)Thanks Heather!!!

mary straton said...

i am glad you have a new friend.

Trey is cute.

let's move to Starkville.

Anonymous said...

In college Joe made (with his own two hands)his bed and side tables...and yes it went well with his Camo bedspread. For college, there wasn't much I could say, so I let him get away with it, however, once we get married....that will all be gone!!

Anonymous said...

You STILL don't have cable????? LJLL

HilaryElise said...

I'm glad you have your weekly mexican fill...we need things like that

Good for you for a)being a supportive wife but b)never letting something like that enter your house and standing ground.

You're so cute!

Jack, Emily, SB & Annie said...

love the look on your face in that second photo. it just screams, "i am a supportive wife."

The Robertsons said...

You should definitely buy your husband some camo furniture for Chritmas!

LT (and Max) said...

ok, it's been nearly a week since you last posted. get with it.

if you can't think of a subject, just make a list of your favorite things about me or something.

Little Daddy said...

I am also getting ready for another post -- Hattiesburg can't be that dull -- can it?